Thursday, August 16, 2012

Is It Me???

AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGHHHH!!!!!!!!

Why does this keep happening to me?  Hollywood is inside my head.  They've micro-chipped me and are listening to my ideas....and I'm not getting PAID!!!!

I have a problem with this!  OK, a bit of background information is in order.

I was in the ninth grade when America went to war.  I found out about Operation Desert Storm in my English class.  Ms. Kimble, my English teacher, made the announcement halfway through class.  It took a moment for the information to settle in.  For a while all you could hear was the ticking of her clock.  This was the perhaps the loudest clock in the history of timepieces!  I would always tell my friends that it sounded like a time bomb waiting to explode.  It was the cause of much anxiety during test time.  After hearing the news of military upheaval, every tick was like a doom bell ringing.  Adding to this anxiety was the fact that my father was in Guam on business.  His return home was delayed because of the kick-off of the Gulf War.

To sum up: the country is at war, daddy isn't coming home, and there's a clock that sounds like a bomb in my English class.  How do I cope?  Well, OBVIOUSLY, I write a story about terrorists taking over our school and the student body having to fight free!  DUH!!!

So, I'm feeling pretty good about how my story is turning out.  Then, in 1991 two things happen: The Gulf war ends and the movie Toy Soldiers comes out.  The only reason I even remember this movie is because of its premise.  Can you guess what the premise was?  That's right.  Terrorists attack a school and students fight their way to freedom.

Sigh.

I took it all in stride and joked about Hollywood stealing my idea but, of course, I was outraged.  How could this have happened?  It is impossible that anyone can have the same idea!  (Yes, I'm laughing at myself.)  However, this did give me hope that I may have the right mind to one day tell stories on a grand scale!

A pattern began to form with me.  I would watch movies and just KNOW what was going to happen. I choose to believe this is because I am something of a "savant" when it comes to movies and NOT because the movies were predictable! I will not be dissuaded of this notion and I'll thank you to allow me to continue on in my delusions.  This isn't just with movies, though.

If you know the Harry Potter story, then you'll understand what I'm about to tell you.  And if you don't know the Harry Potter story, SPOILER ALERT and remind me to rethink our relationship because I'm not sure why we're friends.

Here is a list of things I knew would happen before they happened because this is the way I would have written it (in no particular order):
1.  Severus Snape was in love with Lily.
2.  Severus Snape was a hero.
3.  Dumbledore planned his own death.
4.  Harry was a horcrux....THEREFORE
5.  Harry Potter Had. To. Die.  (Although, I would have left him dead, I still loved the way it ended.)

I called each of these things and they ALL happened.  It is as if the world bends to my will!  If only I could get PAID FOR IT!

Alas, it is happening all over again.

Allow me the arrogance to think that you have been reading my blog and remember my short story "Boy Meets...?"  If you haven't you should give it a read.  It's short, I'll wait here..................................

Great, so now you've read it.  A neat little idea, right?  By no means original, (Pygmalion anyone?) but still a neat little nugget of an idea that has great potential.

Enter Ruby Sparks: A Movie.  This is the preview:

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I doomed to repeat this pattern?  Am I tuned to some specific movie-makers frequency?  Is there no end to this theft and humiliation? And, perhaps most importantly, HOW can a sister get paid!?!!!???  As GOD IS MY WITNESS I will get credit for my ideas!!  I SWEAR I will beat Hollywood to the punch ONE DAY!

No comments: